Friday, October 11, 2013

Identity (2003 film)



If he tries anything, I'm gonna shoot him.  And if anything tries to come in here, I'm gonna shoot it.  And if any of us moves, I'm gonna shoot them.  You got that? - Rhodes

In the middle of the Nevada desert, in a small roadside motel, a fight for survival is raging.  Eleven strangers meet at the motel in the middle of a rainstorm: a family of three, a newlywed couple, a chauffeur and the actress he's driving, a police officer and his prison transfer con, a call girl and the motel's desk clerk.  Someone starts picking them off one by one.  Who is it?  Well, that would spoil the surprise, now wouldn't it?

I first came across this movie in online advertisements.  There was a website for it that had a sort of mini-game on it that you could follow through to find clues about it.  I found the website interesting and the game fun, though my computer couldn't really handle all of it at the time.  So, when ads on TV started showing, I knew this was one I had to see in the theater.  Now, ten years later, it's my honor to bring it to you.

The film is more in line with a classic murder mystery, something of an homage to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None/Ten Little Indians.  The suspense and fear builds up really well until the final reveal of the true identity of the killer.  It'll definitely keep you guessing!

We have a major ensemble cast here, from John Cusack (1408, 2012 and The Raven) to Rebecca De Mornay (The Hand That Rocks the Cradle and the Mother's Day remake), Amanda Peet (2012 again and Changing Lanes) to John Hawkes (From Dusk Till Dawn, Wristcutters: A Love Story and S. Darko), Ray Liotta (Turbulence and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City), Jake Busey (The Frighteners, The Hitcher II: I've Been Waiting, and Wristcutters: A Love Story again), Alfred Molina (Raiders of the Lost Ark and Spider-Man 2), John C. McGinley (Hear No Evil, Seven and Office Space), the list goes on and on.  You don't see a cast like this very often anymore, outside of the Machete movies!

I give this film a 5 out of 5.  I've always enjoyed the murder mystery format like this, where the killer's identity isn't revealed till late in the game, and this one does not disappoint.  Thanks for joining me for this one.  Tomorrow, we'll have one of my lost films, Manhater.  Take care of yourself, enjoy your weekend, and this is Red Hawk signing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment