Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Burning (1981 film)

Right now he's out there. Watching. Waiting. So don't look; he'll see you. Don't breathe; he'll hear you. Don't move; you're dead! - Camp counselor

Tonight, I bring you a movie that I'd never seen before, and never even heard of before reading Horror Hound Magazine.  That movie: The Burning.  I can't believe I'd never seen or heard of this film before.  I know I normally reserve the post summary paragraph for this, but I have to say, I really enjoyed this one, and can highly recommend it.  On to the summary!

The film starts with a group of five kids at Camp Blackfoot plotting vengeance against the camp caretaker, Cropsy.  It seems that Mr. Cropsy has been terrorizing the kids at the camp for years and these five decide to pull a prank on him to get even and make themselves legends.  Unfortunately, the prank goes wrong and Cropsy and his cabin go up in flames, Cropsy himself running out more or less a fireball, landing himself in the water.  Five years later, Cropsy's released from the hospital... and ready for a little revenge of his own.  Him and his garden clippers.

As I said above, I loved this film.  It's been a while since I've seen a good, new (to me) slasher film, and this one had quite a bit going for it.  First, it had a unique killer in Cropsy.  This film was written before Friday the 13th Part 2, so the idea of a deformed killer stalking a summer camp was pretty unique, plus I can guarantee I've never seen a killer use garden shears as a weapon exclusively.  Second, it had a phenomenal cast of characters, with four or five current well-known actors getting their start here.  Third, Tom Savini did a phenomenal job on the effects and makeup.  And fourth (and this is my own humble opinion), this is a highly underrated film that's fallen into the cracks of larger (and just as good) franchises.

Brian Backer played the somewhat creepy peeping tom character Alfred in the film.  He went on to play in Fast Times at Ridgmont High, Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol, and most recently 2012's VampsLarry Joshua played the bully, Glazer, who terrorized Alfred for spying on his girl so much.  He's had a long career, since 1978, with appearances in Dances with Wolves, The Shadow and Spider-ManJason Alexander played Dave, the camper who can get you anything you want, and was pretty funny in the film.  The Burning was his first film.  He's also been in Pretty Woman, Jacob's Ladder, Coneheads and was one of the main actors on the sitcom SeinfeldFisher Stevens played Woodstock, one of Alfred and Dave's group of friends.  This was his first film, as well.  He went on to play in the two Short Circuit films, the series Early Edition, Awake and a few episodes of LostHolly Hunter also holds The Burning as her first film.  She went on to play in Raising Arizona, The Incredibles, Always and she won an Oscar for The Piano.

Really, I cannot recommend this movie enough.  If you've seen it before, then get reacquainted with it.  If you haven't, and this style of movie is up your alley, then I think you'll be in for a treat.  I give it a very well-deserved 5 out of 5.  Tomorrow marks the end of our 1981 Week with another overlooked film of that year: Ghost Story.  Until then, stay safe, and this is Red Hawk signing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment