Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Haunted Airman (2006 film)

Everyone is psychotic to some degree. - Sister Sally Grant

Welcome to the last of my three "lost" articles.  I was sent this one to review shortly after it came out to DVD in the US, and while I did watch it with the intent to review, I never got around to actually writing up a review for it.  I don't remember if I was just too busy at the time, too lax in my duties, or just didn't know how to put my thoughts towards the film into words, but I'm ready to rectify that.  So here, after so long, is my review of The Haunted Airman.

The film centers around Toby Jugg, an airman paralyzed after being shot in the back during a bombing run in World War II.  Sent to convalesce at a sanitarium that seems to specialize in servicemen, Toby spends his days writing to his aunt, Julia, who he has a romantic relationship with (relax, she's his aunt by marriage).  He also is rather standoffish towards Dr. Hal Burns, who's trying to treat him of his depression and nightmares.  It's hard to go too much into the story without spoiling things, but the film becomes a question of whether or not Toby can trust what his mind shows him.

The film was interesting.  The plot was a bit slow at times, with some questions about what was really happening, especially near the end of the film.  The acting was good, the scenery was beautiful, and the atmosphere worked, but the story itself just sort of plodded along, and the ending leaves a bit of confusion as to what's really happened.  I won't give it away, though, but after two viewings of the film, it's still just as confusing the second time as it was the first.

The cast is somewhat minimal, with a few really recognizable faces.  Playing Toby Jugg is a pre-Twilight Robert Pattinson.  He did do well with the part, and was very convincing as a paralyzed man.  In addition to the Twilight series, he also played Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (as well as appearing in a flashback and as a picture in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix).  Julian Sands played Hal Burns, the doctor trying to help Toby.  Another of my favorite actors, Mr. Sands was also in Warlock (and its first sequel), Arachnophobia, Boxing Helena and Stephen King's Rose Red, as well as voicing crime boss Valmont on the Jackie Chan Adventures cartoon for the first three seasons.  Rachael Stirling played Julia, Toby's aunt.  She was also in Snow White and the Huntsman.

An alright movie with a somewhat slow plot but some great acting to redeem it.  I give this one a 3 out of 5.  It's just not up my particular film-going alley, but it had enough to keep my interest, for the most part.  Tomorrow, I'll be posting a classic article, from the original version of the site, and then I'll be doing a delayed one from earlier in the month.  Then, it'll be time for the Big Three.  Until then, take care of yourselves, and this is Red Hawk signing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment