Monday, October 21, 2013

The House by the Cemetery (1981 film)

Yes, it's possible.  It's a typical example of the local architecture.  There are probably hundreds of houses like it in the area. - Norman

Day 2 of 1981 Week and we have an... interesting one, to say the least.  I can't remember if I saw this film at the video store when I was younger or not.  I kind of remember the box art, but it could have been from another, similar movie.  Either way, my interest in the film was peaked when I saw the art in Horror Hound's 1981 Horror Tribute article.  (The issue in question, btw, was #29, May/June 2011.)  I happened to have picked up the Pure Terror 50 movie box set not too long ago and this film happened to be in the set, so I considered myself lucky.  It also played a factor in the reason I decided to try a 1981 week in the first place!

The basic story is that a family of three, Norman and Lucy Boyle and their son, Bob, move into the titular house by the cemetery.  A colleague of Norman's has committed suicide and Norman's determined to step in and finish his work.  Bob keeps seeing a little girl that nobody believes is there, Lucy seems to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and Norman seems somewhat oblivious to it all.  As weird sounds start permeating the house and the history of the place comes to light, can the family be saved before the past comes back to haunt them?

I came into this movie with an open mind.  I wanted to like it, I really did, and for the most part, I did.  It was directed by the great Lucio Fulci, of Zombie fame, and it had some good gore effects (including the ever-present worms and maggots that are so prevalent in Italian horror) and make-up and the scenery was beautiful.  That being said, there were several problems I found in this.  First off, there were several plot holes left in that might have been addressed in the film's original Italian, but I'm not sure.  Why did several people recognize Norman, even though he claimed to have never been there before?  Why did the babysitter, Ann, decide to remove the boards blocking the cellar door one night?  And how did Norman and Ann seem to know eachother, if my reading of their eye contact is correct?  My other major gripe is my complete and total confusion over what happens in the ending.  No spoilers, but it comes out of nowhere and left me scratching my head in befuddlement.

The cast was really good in this film.  Playing Lucy Boyle was Catriona MacColl, a British actress who starred in two other Fulci films, City of the Living Dead and The BeyondAnin Pieroni plays the baby sitter, Ann.  She also played in Dario Argent's Inferno, and in Fracchia contro Dracula, her last film.  Giovanni Frezza played Bob Boyle, son of Norman and Lucy, who seems to have an invisible playmate.  His last film before seemingly retiring from acting was Demons.

So, all in all an interesting movie with good actors and special effects but, for me, a bit too confusing with unanswered questions.  I have to give this one a 3 out of 5.  Join us tomorrow for an Italian take on Jaws with... GREAT WHITE!  Take care of yourselves and this is Red Hawk signing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment